Monday, January 19, 2009

Native Forum



I attended the NATIVE FORUM BRUNCH at Sundance for the second year in a row. Held at MUSTANG again, many people from last year attended as well. Once again, I spoke with Bird Runningwater and Owl Johnson. Mr. Runningwater is the Associate Director of Native American and Indigenous Initiatives at Sundance.

I saw Evan Adams of SMOKE SIGNALS there and got a chance to meet and talk with him and told him about SURVIVING SOUNDS OF HAIDA (SSH). Of all things, he knows some Haida filmmakers in Canada. Small world!

Some others from last year included John Haworth and Elizabeth Weatherford of the National Museum of the American Indian. Last year, we sat at the same table. I got to talk with them both for a good while. Hopefully, I will get to meet with them back in NYC. (this year, I sat with two very nice women, Sundance Staff from Budgeting, go figure!)

Another attendee I recognized from last year, Karen, remembered me, too, from 2008. She started a film festival in Santa Fe, New Mexico but I still can't remember her last name--see what happens when you don't have your card? (she ran out) I gave her a DVD of SSH.

I saw Sterlin Harjo (director, BARKING WATER) walking around with a plate of food but he wouldn't sit at my table. "Looking for my actor," he said. Later, I talked with his lead actor, Richard Ray Whitman, who was also in WOUNDED KNEE. Too much! Of course, I gave him my card. Everybody sure is nice at Sundance.